ATTRIBUTIONS
"Attribution is a cognitive process that entails linking an event to its causes. Attribution is one of a variety of cognitive inferences that are included within social cognition, which is one of several theoretical models within social psychology."
(Attribution theory, 25 May, 2020 Encyclopedia .com)
Put more simply, Attribution is how we tend to explain life events, and whether we see the causes as internal, external, stable or unstable. We also tend to see the events as having a global or local effect on our lives. We all go throughout our day making attributions about our own behavior and of the people around us. I don't think I realized I did this as much as I do.
Some attributions are internal and some external. This is in part due to our "cognitive biases". How we think affects and influences whether we make internal or external attributions. Do we pass off others' successes to good luck, but take credit for our own accomplishments? If we receive a bad grade, do we blame the teacher for not explaining the material better? Do we attribute our successes to our skill and personal character, but blame outside forces for failures?
These are just a few examples of attribution styles. Many factors determine whether we follow an internal, or external style, and if we tend to take blame or pass blame for events that take place. Optimism and pessimism also influence our attribution style.
Different cultures tend to explain events as internal or external depending on whether they are individualistic or collectivistic. If a group of people are individualistic, they will see the behaviors of other influenced by their personality. (dispositional attribution) People from collectivistic cultures that value the goals of the group tend to see the behaviors of others influenced by external factors. (situational attribution)
These are fascinating social behaviors, and there are many more types of attributions. But, why should I as a potential teacher of English Language Learners be concerned with these behaviors? I think that by having an understanding of how my students form their attributions can give me a better vision of how they will behave in class. How they attribute behaviors can affect their motivation. Perhaps I can be better prepared to know how to teach and support them. Some students may, as a result of their attribution style, be more resilient, or feel helpless, and some may feel empowered or be aggressive. The more I learn, the better equipped I am going to be in assisting my students in understanding their behaviors. From here I can make a plan to provide a safe and caring environment so my students can succeed.

No comments:
Post a Comment