Saturday, May 23, 2020

5/23/20 W05: Response to Cultural Miscommunications

Conversation with a Teacher Mentor


     You have the right to remain silent; anything you say can and will be mis-communicated and misunderstood. 

So, what do I do?

     Whatever you do, be aware, alert, and attentive to your students and what their cultural differences are. American teachers love to have energetic and engaging interactions with students during lessons. 

But, I am particularly fond of getting very animated and love to engage students in active and physical games and activities to make learning fun! What do I do about little 'Sakura' always sitting in silence and never participating in our activities? 

     Do not punish or point out your student's silence or refusal to actively participate. Sakura is from a culture where students are expected to be silent and listen to their teachers dispense knowledge. Calling out students when they behave differently could drive a bigger gap between you and reaching them could be more difficult.

This is my first year teaching in an ESL program and I am so nervous about offending my students. How can I handle situations that could lead to embarrassment or hurt feelings? I know I need to create an inclusive atmosphere and model acceptance, but what if my students are not being accepting of each other? 

     Always be aware of the range of differences in language and culture. Educating your students on each of their cultures is a start. Include them all, not just the majority groups represented.  Begin early on to state your expectations in the classroom, and show them what you mean.  Give your students the freedom to voice opinions and make them feel valued for sharing.

I understand. Any other advice you can offer for a first time teacher?

     Knowing how they learn best is one thing, but knowing how they learn in their culture is of equal importance. Avoid singling out a student in front of their classmates. Dress appropriately. Be aware of your gestures. Make inclusive learning fun. Your students will feel more comfortable and engage naturally if they don't feel it is a boring assignment.

Very good advice. I feel I can model these things and learn to handle cultural differences in my classroom. Eventually I hope my students can learn to interact and feel safe in being themselves so they can learn together!

     Just remember — multi-cultural education is not a one-and-done lesson and that is all you have to worry about! It is a constant mindfulness in your approach to teaching and including all students in your care.  Teach them to appreciate their different cultures, and you need to be the best example of acceptance. This will help them learn to interact socially, and — of course — learn English! Good luck, and have a great first year!
In an article titled "3 Tips to Avoid Cultural Misunderstandings With Adult ELs" author Diana Cooper says, "Mindfulness of cultural differences and our students’ perceptions will improve adult students’ understanding of English and daily life experiences. Intercultural awareness opens the door for instructors and students to learn from each other and laugh over the meaning of actions and terms we, as teachers, may take for granted." (TESOL Connections, Feb. 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment