Tuesday, May 19, 2020

5/18/20 W05 Response to: "Cultural Paradigms"

Cultural Paradigms


     I have never really given a lot of thought to how many complex paradigms are out there. I mean, I understand there are cultural differences, but never realized how many.  Have I ever offended anyone? I certainly would never offend on purpose. It makes me wonder, and very curious, of the perceptions out there of other cultures from fellow Americans. I also need to know about cultural etiquette and to be prepared for the future students I will be teaching. After watching a language class video on cultural paradigms taught by Professor John Ivers of BYU Idaho, I was surprised to hear what some foreigners think of Americans. Will a paradigm affect the way a student thinks of me, and if it is negative, will he/she think less of me as a teacher? I believe it is my duty to help all of my students not only be able to learn English but to feel accepted, valued, and safe. Leading by example in accepting each student will be a key factor in trying to clear up perceptions students may have of Americans. 


    An ELL teacher friend of mine works hard to teach her students about the different countries they are all from, and cultural differences they have. This year she had them prepare a Diversity Fair and present to the student body and faculty members.  They were proud to show their peers and teachers about their families, their native countries, and their traditions. The fair was well received, and they took ownership, and were very pleased with their hard work! If you walk in to her classroom there is a feeling of inclusion by just noting the pictures, nation's flags and banners around the room.  I have made a mental note of how I need to make my classroom appear. Not only do I want to have visuals of English vocabulary, but signs and personal touches of my students' backgrounds.


    When I first started learning about becoming an ELL teacher, I won't say I was completely clueless of all that one must know to be a good teacher, but I was quickly made aware of just how much I should be prepared for.  It is not just about teaching vocabulary and grammar.  I am reminded of my early days of coaching a high school performance team and how I soon learned that just teaching steps and counts was not my only role. I have since come to know that this has a lot to do with teaching to the whole child.  I am learning that a humanistic approach to my teaching will be necessary in helping students learn to apply their new-found language skills in real-life, and to be able to reach out.  They need to survive.  They want to make friends. 







ETHNIC FAIR by PCHS DIVERSITY CLUB AND ESL STUDENTS


No comments:

Post a Comment